Monday, 24 October 2016

Advice Letter

Someone posted an instagram photo of me that was really embarrassing and hurtful. I've asked them to remove it and they said, "relax.... it's just for fun... besides you look pretty in it." What can I do?

Dear Alien,
Cyber bullying is becoming more common because of rapid pace in which technology is growing throughout the world. Remember, that you are not alone. While, it may feel like you are the only one facing this calamity, 1 out of every 4 teens are cyber bullied.

Before you do anything, you need to try and figure out why your cyber bully is bullying you. You're bully might not be aware of the fact that (s)he is hurting you and may just think that (s)he is playing a harmless joke. You're bully might do it to feel better about themselves, which may sound odd, but it's true. It's easy to forget that there is a real life person behind a screen. You're bully may feel depressed or angry and that is the reason behind her/him doing this. (s)he can, without realising, channel his/her feelings onto their words which they type or post. That's why, if you are feeling angry you need to step away or go offline for a while until you feel better so that you are not posting or saying something that you can't take back.

Most bullies think that they are safe behind their computer name and screen but really social networks can quite easily track them down. The second step which you need to do is to keep the evidence. You need to either take a screen shot, save the file or print a hard copy. If the bullying is getting to a point where it is crossing the line, you should report the picture. Most social networks have the option to report the user. This way, you are stoping your cyber bully from harassing you as well as taking away their undeserved privilege to go on the site.

The third step that you need to take is to comment nothing. This may sound odd but commenting nothing makes a huge impact. You need to be rational and think through what's going on. Calm yourself down before going back online because you certainly do not want to type back a mean comment otherwise, that makes you as bad as your bully. Avoid texting, commenting or talking to you're bully. The cyber bully is normally doing this to get a reaction out of you. If you ignore it, (s)he will probably leave you and stop harassing you. Try to distract yourself. Some suggestions are, doing something you love, immersing yourself in a book or a movie, playing with a pet/sibling or going for a run.

The final step that you need to take is to tell an adult. During these times, you will feel torn between telling an adult or not, and will often keep this to yourself because you feel ashamed or have the fear of having your computer/phone privileges taken away. But, telling a trusted adult is always the answer. Even if you think that you can handle the situation yourself, adults will be understanding and will help. Chances are, that your cyber bully is violating a school rule, even if it is done at home, and since your bully belongs to your school - (s)he will probably have to face the consequences. If you tell a trusted adult, they will probably make the bully take down the picture and they will be in serious trouble.

Don't be afraid of your cyber bully and remember these steps. The ultimate goal of a cyber bully is to get a reaction out of you, if you don't give them a reaction, they will leave you alone.

Best of luck!
Bye for now,
Human


Information retrieved from sources:
http://kidshealth.org/en/parents/cyberbullying.html
https://www.brainpop.com/technology/communications/cyberbullying/

4 comments:

  1. I was especially impressed with your steps. They were detailed and realistic for middle schoolers. You might have improved by changing your conclusion; you can state a new claim or tip for cyberbullying. The strategy I would most likely use is to not comment anything on the post. I don’t think I would skip any of your strategies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, My name is Aran
    I was really impresses by how you showed the statistic of 1 out fo 4 teens are cyberbullied.

    You might have improved with your conclusion because you could have given extra tips and had a final amazing tip.

    The strategy I would most use would be not commenting on the post because the comment would mean that the bully got a reaction form you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was especially impressed with how you really spoke and really related to students. I think that this letter is really put together and super helpful. You gave advice that could really help a lot of people and I thought that you gave lots of opinions and advice throughout this letter. You improve by putting in your sources throughout the piece so that we know that you that these are researched facts. For example, you could say: According to (website you got your information) they said..... The tip I would most likely use is just not commenting at all. I thought that tip was super useful and really true. Really great job girlie!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was especially impressed with how you put different examples and scenarios for your steps and solutions, it really made the message clearer and more understandable. You might have improve your conclusion/ending sentence by stating different information or giving a new (sort of bonus) step. The tip that I would most likely do is to not comment or say anything back because I thought that was useful and might even solve the whole cyberbullying issue. Loved what you wrote!

    ReplyDelete

Blog 12: Sustainable Cities

NeWater desalinates and recycles water ( https://www.pub.gov.sg/watersupply/fournationaltaps/newater ) Renewable energy: solar farm ( https:...