Friday, 29 October 2021

Blog 11: Smart Cities

As Ms. Singh shared examples of tech-based SMART interventions both in Singapore and around the world, I realized that I experience many of these interventions in my day to day life. For example, I typically use e-payments like apple pay when shopping or at restaurants. Even for transportation, I use my e-wallet when paying for the MRT or taxis. Besides e-payments, another SMART intervention in my life are sensory systems related to electricity within my house. For instance, the light in our lift turns off when it is not in use; the fridge beeps when the doors are left open for too long; the gas in the kitchen turns off when there isn't something over the stove. All of these systems help save electricity and are therefore energy efficient and more sustainable. A third SMART intervention is locally grown food that my family often buys at supermarkets. By using farming techniques such as vertical planting and hydroponics, as well as cutting out the energy costs of transportation and the supply chain, locally grown food is more sustainable than importing food. Therefore, all of these SMART interventions are key for a resilient, sustainable city.  

A research question could be how is SMART intervention used in the healthcare industry in Singapore and particularly how was it beneficial during the pandemic? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog 12: Sustainable Cities

NeWater desalinates and recycles water ( https://www.pub.gov.sg/watersupply/fournationaltaps/newater ) Renewable energy: solar farm ( https:...