If I could plan my own town, I would emphasize the importance of small, local businesses like bookshops, cafes, and locally owned clothing stores by only allowing a certain number of chain stores. I think that doing so would create a stronger, more unique town culture that would also attract more tourists (I'm thinking of small towns in France, Spain, and Italy). Alongside small shops, I would ensure that there are wide boulevards and bike paths, so that people are less reliant on cars for transportation. I'd also plan for lots of gardens and incorporate nature whenever possible, ideally building a town near forests or a lake. For the buildings, I would want housing to be more unique and not all uniform, and would want meandering pathways to make the view more interesting. Having interesting monuments that have beautiful architecture would also help attract tourists, and make the city nicer to live in.
As for Singapore, I think that it is over-planned to a certain extent as I think that there's definitely a stiller feel to it. You don't get the same feeling as when you walk through the night markets in Bangkok as you walk by graffiti and chipped paint, for example. Despite there being a strong cultural presence in Singapore with Chinatown, Haji Lane, and Little India, I think that the city feels less vibrant and alive than other cities because of how picture-perfect it is. That being said, I would still prefer living here as compared to many other cities that aren't as well-planned, so there are pros and cons to it.
My research question is what is the urban plan for New Clark City, a city currently being developed that's set to be the first green and sustainable city in the Phillipines?
No comments:
Post a Comment