I don't want to go too much into detail for the first four companies that I listed above because they are all fairly self explanatory so I will simply give a brief summary. Amazon, Alphabet, and Microsoft are tech giants that dominate the technology industry and therefore provide blue chip stability. In a world thats growing increasingly reliant on technology, I believe that it is vital to invest in these such companies as their size provides stability to your portfolio while simultaneously giving you a steady profit. However, you may of noticed that I didn't include Apple as one of the companies that I chose to invest in despite it being a major technology power player. I chose to set it aside because Apple's new iPhone sales dropped at a record pace and did far worse than predicted (BBC). Although, Apple is bigger than its latest iPhone sales, with Apple T.V and other technologies, I didn't want to take a risk with the company and therefore let it be. Finally, the last company that I will briefly mention here is The Walt Disney Company. Unlike the blue chip companies I mentioned above, Disney is in the entertainment industry, not technology industry. With Disney owning Marvel, Star Wars, releasing Frozen 2 this coming November, having a large demographic of viewers and being an enduring franchise (Fool), I decided to invest in this mega company. Thus, you can see that I invested the bulk of my money into these reliant blue chip companies.
A company that I haven't mentioned thus far though is Berkshire Hathaway Class B stock, and this is because I want to delve in deeper into this company and explain the logistics as to why I chose to invest in it. To begin with, I invested in the Class B stock simply because the Class A stock was far too expensive to invest in as one share costs around $300,000, making it the most expensive stock to buy in the market today (Finance Yahoo). However, the Class B stock is just as profitable and still a stock worth buying. The main reason for this is that Berkshire Hathaway is very similar to a mutual fund which essentially means that the company invests in a variety of small companies but also holds shares in larger ones like Coco Cola and Apple (Morning Star). This diversification provides stability to my portfolio and ensures that I am investing in a range of companies. Another reason for why I invested in Berkshire Hathaway was because it is owned by Warren Buffet, the third wealthiest person and most successful investor in the world. Therefore, instead of me trying to beat the market by investing small amounts of money into different companies, I'd rather invest into Berkshire Hathaway and leave this tough job to the experts at Berkshire Hathaway supervised by Warren Buffet. A third reason for why I invested in it was because Berkshire Hathaway has an outstanding growth rate. For instance, a stock of the company bought in 1990 is now worth 37 times what it was back then (Investopedia). Additionally, the graph below describes how the total returns of the Berkshire Hathaway Class B stock has consistently been far higher than the S&P 500 Total Return, thus constantly beating the competition of the top 500 largest companies in the U.S.
Continuing on, Berkshire Hathaway Class B has a 52 week range of $186.10 to $224.07 which is fairly consistent and therefore a positive thing. It hasn't all been bright and optimistic though, Berkshire Hathaway has made errors along the way and the most recent one was investing into Kraft Heinz (CNBC). This bad investment resulted in Berkshire Hathaway losing almost $5 billion this year as Kraft Heinz continues to sink. However, this can be viewed optimistically because now prices of Berkshire Hathaway are cheaper than before and therefore, I invested in it at a good time when the price was relatively low.
In conclusion, I realised that in order to understand how much money you want to invest into the market, you need to take an approach on the economy and understand your view of it. Furthermore, I found that investing in companies that I use daily is a helpful tip for realising what companies to invest in and that mutual funds can be beneficial and provide stability to your portfolio as well.
No comments:
Post a Comment