Wednesday, 14 March 2018

Rosa Parks

1. Why is bus segregation even a big deal? Who cares who sits in the different parts of the bus? Why does this matter at all? 
It is a big deal because it shows inequality and treats the blacks as inferior and the whites as superior. It physically shows that blacks are treated as second class citizens which is unjust. It also shows that the blacks are complying like they have no control over their choices and life, which reinforces the whites power over them. 

2. Put yourself in Rosa Park's shoes: You're going home from work. You have a family. A small incident arises. What do you honestly do? How far would you go? (Jail? Pay a fine? Lose your life? Explain your limits.) 
I would honestly probably not do anything at all because I would be too frightened of the consequences, which is exactly what the white officers want. Since only a small incident had occurred, I wouldn't think that it was big enough for me to get involved in. If I were to intervene, the furthest I would go is paying a fine but would likely only go that far. The pay I earn is probably very little as it is, and my family would need me - which I would prioritize over being right.

3. Parks' words are very deliberate. She says, "You may do that." What do you think about the wording of her statement? (p. 116--the star with a #4 in it)
Parks' words show how she is allowing the white officer to arrest her, as though she is the one with authority who can control the white officer's decisions. It is showing that she has power and is equal, if not a class higher than the white officer. She isn't letting the white officer make her choices for her and is, therefore, making it seem like she has the option on whether she is to be arrested or not.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog 12: Sustainable Cities

NeWater desalinates and recycles water ( https://www.pub.gov.sg/watersupply/fournationaltaps/newater ) Renewable energy: solar farm ( https:...