Saturday, 5 December 2015

Neutral Character Observations


In my drama class we were asked to observe neutral characters instead of focusing on the main characters. What are neutral characters? Well, I'm glad you asked! Neutral characters are characters that are people in the background but are not doing anything to noticeable, in a way they are part of the set. How were we supposed to notice the neutral characters? Well we got to watch T.V for homework! I know right, isn't that awesome! Anyway, we watched 10 minutes of T.V of which 5 minutes was watched without any sound so that we wouldn't get distracted. For my T.V show I chose Kickin' IT. While I watched I kept an eye out for, colour, voice, motions, actions, and camera work. It is easier to watch when the sound is muted because then your eyes don't automatically get diverted towards the speaker. 

Here are my observations:
  • they move their mouth but not utter a word
  • they would sometimes just stare 
  • they wear dull colours or colours that will blend in
  • they are mostly on the side of the shot, never exactly in the middle
  • the main characters will wear standing out clothes, like checkers, but the neutral characters will not
  • lastly, the director directs us to the main character by using voice, looks, and motions.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog 12: Sustainable Cities

NeWater desalinates and recycles water ( https://www.pub.gov.sg/watersupply/fournationaltaps/newater ) Renewable energy: solar farm ( https:...